Before you take the life-changing decision of settling down in a new country, it’s worth researching the small things about your new home.
This will help you to have a clear understanding of what you need to do to make it happen, and the realities you’ll face in this new environment.
This article will serve as a detailed list of Andorra expat resources; everything from residency to restaurants, so you can prepare to live to your fullest in this beautiful country.
Table of Contents
Residency & Immigration
The first aspect you need to know about settling down is how to get residency. In the case of Andorra, there are two main types of residency permits, active and passive residency, and we have written extensive guides about them in the past.
- Active Residency – For those looking to work in the country
- Passive Residency – For those looking to retire or with incomes from abroad
- Department of Immigration – The official government website
- Concerns on Permanent Residency
Tax & Finances
Andorra is commonly mistaken as a “tax haven“, but this misconception doesn’t mean it has high taxes. The tax system fair and simple to understand.
Here are the best topics about finances and taxes that could concern you as well as our guide on the cost of living so you can make an idea of Andorran budgets.
- Tax System Overview
- Passive Income Taxes
- Capital Gain Taxes
- Banking Guide
- Cost of Living in Andorra
- Company Formation in Andorra
Learning about the prices and properties available in Andorra will aid you in the process of finding the perfect place to call home.
Whether you’re going to rent or buy, here are some resources to help you.
- Where to Find Property – An overview of sites and tips to find property for sale or rent
- The Property Market – Guide about prices of property in 2018
What about finding friends and adapting to the country?
Andorra’s society is amicable and open to newcomers. The international variety from Spain, France, UK, Portugal, USA, Russia, Australia, Argentina and so on has created a diverse and friendly environment where you’ll find people from every trade and class.
Here are the main ways to get connected with expats and Andorrans, and a guide on the daily life in the country:
- Forums and Social Groups – An overview of the leading groups and ways to communicate with expats and Andorrans
- International Club of Andorra – An expat club in Andorra – mostly with older members but a good source of local info
- What It Is Like to Live in Andorra – A guide covering the daily life in the country
Andorra’s diverse landscapes allow the practice of several sports which garners praise for its cycling and skiing events.
Whether you’re an athlete looking for options or just interested in activities practiced in the country, here are some resources that you’ll find useful:
Every multicultural society has a diverse cuisine waiting in every corner, and Andorra is no exception.
There are plenty of restaurants of every cuisine, from economic priced cafés to luxury restaurants to satisfy your gastronomic needs.
- The Michelin Guide to Restaurants – The go-to site to find the best restaurants in Andorra (and any other country)
- Ara Andorra Gastronomy Section – This Catalan newspaper has the latest news and reviews of gastronomical events in Andorra
- Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants – Though Andorra is a meat and cheese heavy country, there are some plant-based options here
Finding a job in a new country is intimidating, especially if the language is different. In a small country like Andorra the job market may seem even more daunting; however, we have a guide that will cover most of your questions.
If you have children – or considering having one – you’ll be pleased to hear that Andorra’s schools are free and of excellent quality and in case you wish to review the private alternative there are also two great options in Andorra.
- Andorra’s School System – A guide detailing the ins and outs of Andorran education
- International Schools in Andorra– For those wishing to learn about private alternatives
The healthcare system in Andorra is one the best in the world, with most medical expenses covered by social security. For more details, you can head to our guide on healthcare or the official government site.
- Andorra Healthcare System – An overview of Andorran Healthcare
- CASS Official Website – The government website that holds all the information on the social security system
If you’re looking for official information about Andorra the best way to find it is in the government sites, which houses every aspect of the country. Keep in mind that the sites are in Catalan.
- Government Official Site – This is the central hub of the government websites, with news and links to every department
Andorra News Sites
The sites covering the latest news of Andorra are mostly in Catalan, but they include everything you can think of regarding the country, from local events to official information.
- Ara Andorra
- All Andorra
- Diario Bondia
- Jane Whittaker’s Updates – not updated too regularly but a good source of news that isn’t publicised elsewhere
Andorra Expat Resources
Did I miss an important resource that should be on this page? Looking for something that isn’t in this list?
Send me an email and I’ll sort it out for you!