A dependable healthcare system is something most of us in the developed world take for granted. But when choosing to relocate to a new country, asking important questions like “how is emergency surgery paid for?” become top-of-mind concerns.
These days, Caixa Andorrana de Seguretat Social (CASS) is a system that provides health insurance to 92% of Andorra’s residents. (The other 8% are mainly passive residents who are required to enroll in a private insurance scheme.)
CASS also covers its members when they travel to Spain, France or Portugal.
Andorra has only one hospital (in Escaldes-Engordany) but is a modern facility and there are 2.5 hospital beds for every 1,000 residents. Major or complicated surgeries and the worst emergencies are handled by sending patients to facilities in either Spain or France.
How does Andorra’s healthcare system compare to the rest of the world? A recent survey by The Lancet put Andorra in the top spot above the well-respected systems in places like Finland, Sweden and Australia.
This healthcare success is even more relatable when you note that Andorra often lands at the top of global lists with a life expectancy of around 83 years.